Southcrete™ Brick Paver and Concrete Sealer
Southcrete™ Brick Paver and Concrete Sealer is a premium quality, solvent-borne acrylic sealer that is designed to penetrate and seal bare cementitious substrates. Its attractive gloss finish not only enhances and darkens unsealed pavers to give them a rich “Wet Look” finish, but also provides superior toughness and durability that protects against the penetration of moisture, oils, grease stains, and other damaging or discoloring agents.
NOTE: Do not use on Epoxy Chattahoochee or other solvent sensitive surfaces.
- Excellent Penetration and Sealing Properties
- Excellent Adhesion
- Excellent Toughness and Durability
- Resists Hot Tire Pick-Up
- Resists Chemical Staining
- Resists UV Light
- Excellent Product Versatility
- Easy To Apply
- Not for use on surface areas subject to ponding water.
- Not for use in corrosive or chemical environments.
- Not for use in areas subject to intense heat.
- Not for use on below-grade substrates.
The entire surface area must be clean, dry, sound, and free from dirt, grease, oils, mildew, curing, and release agents, efflorescence, and any other surface contaminants that may cause paint failure. For best results, pressure wash with a minimum 2,000 psi pressure washer, or manually scrub substrate with a TSP or non-ammoniated detergent solution or a commercial degreaser to remove oils, grease, and other surface contaminants. Repeat if surface contaminants remain.
- Surface Repairs: Repair/replace all damaged, deteriorated and surface imperfections with the proper cementitious patching compounds or building materials.
- Mildew: Ensure removal of all mildew to affected surface areas by using a commercial mildew wash. Follow the manufacturer’s label directions for proper application.
- Masonry/Concrete: Allow all new cementitious substrates a minimum of thirty (30) to forty-five (45) days to properly dry/cure, then properly test for pH level readings. Surface areas that register a pH reading of nine (9) percent or higher may contain high alkali levels and should be effectively acid washed to neutralize these levels.
- Smooth Concrete Floors: Non-porous or smooth concrete floors should be properly acid-etched with one (1) part muriatic acid mixed with one (1) part water solution to effectively open surface pores. As always, follow label directions for proper mixing and application instructions, and take all necessary safety precautions when working with caustic chemicals.
- Efflorescence: To obtain a uniform appearance of your finish coat, it is recommended to remove efflorescence with SGM Southcrete™ Masonry Cleaner and Efflorescence Remover. Carefully follow the manufacturer’s supplied directions with the efflorescence remover. Allow the surface to dry for a minimum of 24 hours. Once dry, and before you start to apply the coating, thoroughly sweep the surface to remove any remaining residue.
If you scrape, sand or remove old paint, you may release lead dust. LEAD IS TOXIC. EXPOSURE TO LEAD DUST CAN CAUSE SERIOUS ILLNESS, SUCH AS BRAIN DAMAGE, ESPECIALLY IN CHILDREN. PREGNANT WOMEN SHOULD ALSO AVOID EXPOSURE. Wear a NIOSH-approved respirator to control lead exposure. Clean up carefully with a high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) vacuum and a wet mop. Before you start, find out how you can protect yourself and your family by contacting the National Lead Information Hotline at 1-800-424-5323 (1-800-424-LEAD), or log onto www.epa.gov/lead.
- Brush: Natural Filament Roller: 3/8” – 1?2” Nap cover depending on surface texture and porosity.
- Low-Pressure Spray: Use a pump type sprayer or a unit that sprays at pressures less than forty (40) psi.
Southcrete™ Brick Paver and Concrete Sealer may be easily applied with a quality brush, roller or low-pressure spray equipment, as follows:
- Stir thoroughly and apply as it comes from the container. For best results, apply two (2) finish coats.
- Intermix multiple containers of custom mixed and stock colors to ensure color uniformity.
- When applying by brush, apply a smooth coat to smaller surfaces, such as painting trim or cutting-in larger surface areas.
- When applying by roller, apply an even and generous coat in a “?” or criss-cross motion. Avoid excessive re-spreading and reworking.
- When applying by low-pressure spray equipment, it is recommended to back-roll the surface area to ensure proper adhesion and an even coat application.
Apply when air, surface, and product temperatures are above 55°F (fifty degrees Fahrenheit) and below 90°F (ninety degrees Fahreneheit). Avoid exterior paint application when weather conditions are threatening, and late in the day when there is a threat of moisture condensing on wet paint. Do not apply when temperatures drop below the dew point or below 40°F (forty degrees Fahrenheit) within 24 hours after application. Do not apply when relative humidity is above ninety (90) percent.
- WARNING: Some sealed surfaces may become slippery when wet. It is recommended to incorporate a non-skid additive in the final coat to prevent slip and fall accidents.
RECOMMENDED MIL FILM PER COAT
(AT 400 SQUARE FEET PER GALLON)
- Wet: 3.5 mils
- Dry: 0.70 – 1.0 mils
Covers approximately 400—500 sq ft per U.S. gallon per coat, depending on the method of application, surface irregularities, and porosity of the substrate.
- At 77°F (Seventy Degrees Fahrenheit) and Fifty (50) Percent Relative Humidity To Touch: Thirty (30) minutes
- Recoat: Four (4) hours.
- Light Foot Traffic: Four (4) to six (6) hours.
- Vehicle Traffic: Three (3) days.
Clean up any minor spills and spatters immediately with Xylene, as well as all painting tools and airless equipment. More serious spills should be contained and removed with inert absorbent material. Dispose of contaminated absorbent, container, and unused contents in accordance with local, state, and federal regulations.
Thinning is not necessary. Do not thin.
Up to one (1) year unopened.
PRECAUTIONARY & SAFETY INFORMATION
FLAMMABLE. CONTAINS XYLENE AND TOLUENE. Keep away from heat, sparks, and open flames. Prevent build-up of vapors by opening all windows and doors to achieve cross-ventilation. DO NOT SMOKE. Extinguish all flames and pilot lights, and turn off stoves, heaters, electric motors, and other sources of ignition during use and until all vapors are gone. USE WITH ADEQUATE VENTILATION. Do not breathe dust, vapors, or spray mists. Ensure fresh air entry during application and drying. If you experience eye watering, headache or dizziness, or if air monitoring demonstrates vapor/mist levels are above applicable levels, wear an appropriately fitted respirator (NIOSH-approved), during and after application. Follow the respirator manufacturer’s directions for respirator use. Avoid contact with eye, skin, and clothing. Use chemical safety glasses, goggles, or a face shield for proper eye protection. Wash thoroughly after handling and before eating or smoking. Close container after each use. DO NOT TAKE INTERNALLY.
In case of eye contact, flush immediately with plenty of water for fifteen (15) minutes, and get medical attention immediately. For skin contact, wash thoroughly with plenty of soap of water. If you experience difficulty breathing, leave the area to obtain fresh air. If continued difficulty is experienced, get medical attention immediately. If swallowed, do not induce vomiting — get medical attention immediately.
- NOTICE: Reports have associated repeated and prolonged occupational overexposure to solvents with permanent brain and nervous system damage. Intentional misuse by deliberately concentrating and inhaling the content herein may be harmful or fatal.
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.
To the best of SGM, Inc.’s knowledge, the technical data contained herein is accurate at the date of issuance and is subject to change without prior notice. Users must contact the manufacturer to verify correctness before specifying or ordering. No guarantee of accuracy is given or implied. SGM, Inc. guarantees our products to conform to the manufacturer’s quality control. We assume no responsibility for coverage, performance, or injuries resulting from use. Liability, if any, is limited to the replacement of the product. No other warranty or guarantee of any kind is made by the manufacturer, expressed or implied, statutory, or by operation of law, or otherwise, including merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose.